You can modify lacing cards to match the learning aims and developmental requirements of every child.
Is lacing a fine motor skill? Definitely! You can work on fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, language skills, mathematics, and many more with these.
- What are the benefits of lacing cards for preschoolers?
- DIY Ideas: lacing activity benefits
- Lacing Activity Benefits: Conclusion
- Lacing Cards for Toddlers: Amazon Best Sellers
What are the benefits of lacing cards for preschoolers?
1. Pincer Grasp Development
Making the needle and thread move in different directions using a ‘pad-to-pad’ grip is a fine motor skill kids require for performing various tasks. A pincer grasp is required to pick up small objects such as beads, seeds, coins, etc.
2. Knowledge of Bilateral Coordination
Bilateral hand coordination is necessary when young children utilize the dominant hand as the tool controller and the non-dominant one as the assistant in certain skills, including writing, drawing, cutting using a pair of scissors, zipping a jacket, and buttoning a shirt.
3. Motor Planning
involves the functional performance of a task that is seen with the eyes and done with the hands to finish tasks. Such tasks include walking around hindrances, mazes, and cutting properly along a line.
4. Hand-eye Coordination
This is simply the use of information seen through the eyes to coordinate and control the hands and finish tasks like writing and catching a ball.
5. Scanning Visually
Lacing cards help children learn how to scan visually. Visual scanning helps children to be able to read, write, and locate a specific colored item in a container full of similar items.
You can modify lacing cards to suit the different learning needs of kids. Writing letters alongside the holes can help kids identify letters, recognize letters and sound letters. It also helps them to know the alphabetical order of letters and many more.
Writing numbers alongside the lacing holes can help children in identifying numbers, recognizing numbers, arranging numbers, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, skip counting, and much more.
8. Using Tools
Manipulating a string with or without a needle can be good practice for functional tool use.
9. Learning Life Skills
Kids get to learn to sew by using some string and a needle. There are a lot of lacing cards available in the market. You may find bright-colored numbers, letters, shapes, animals, and so on.
Kids will tend to choose what they like. Fabricated lacing cards tend to be very steady, which is very useful.
DIY Ideas: lacing activity benefits
There are a lot of different materials you can utilize when making lacing cards. When making lacing cards at home, let your child help as they will get to develop fine motor skills.
1. Foam sheets
You can make lacing cards out of foam sheets. Foam sheets are pretty versatile and can be formed into any shape using cookie cutters or by drawing.
2. Recycled objects
Take some recycled objects like taking out containers to create lacing cards. Transform them into any shape you like.
3. Plastic mats
Form sturdy lacing cards using plastic mats available in your home.
4. Cardboard cereal boxes
form sturdy lacing surfaces as well, and you can shape them.
5. Wallpaper scraps
are great for creating patterns, seasons, and multicolored objects.
6. Plastic canvas
Take some plastic canvas and cut out different shapes. Use these to explore different ways of stitching and math as well.
7. Transparent office supplies
You can also utilize transparent office supplies such as binders and dividers to make a light table lacing prop.
8. Family photos
Furthermore, you can make use of family photos to make lacing cards.
Lacing Activity Benefits: Conclusion
Home-made lacing cards are great and are very useful for your kids. Using lacing cards allows children to strengthen their small fingers and wrist muscles and use their imagination.
Some parents may not know the importance of carrying out lacing activities and introducing young kids to coloring and writing. Lacing cards help kids master their pincer grasp, useful for grabbing objects (e.g., holding a pencil while writing).
Furthermore, engaging in activities like these gives children a break from the monotonous work of tracing or coloring and gives a vast range of useful movement.
The kids get to know the work of their dominant and non-dominant hands. They can stabilize the cutouts while passing the thread through the lacing holes, strengthening the developing fingers and muscles.
This was it for now! Let us know if you have an idea to contribute. Ta-da!
Lacing Cards for Toddlers: Amazon Best Sellers
- Includes 26 wooden cards and 26 laces
- Lacing set with a card and lace for every letter of the alphabet
- Each card features a full-color picture on one side; label and upper-/lowercase letters on the other.
- GET A HEAD START ON SKILL BUILDING - These 6 durable lacing cards encourage early learning and creativity among preschool and kindergarten aged children. Printed on sturdy board so as your child gets...
- THE PERFECT TRAVEL ACTIVITY: Do you need new activities to keep your toddler engaged while you travel? Kids love these animal sewing kits! The set includes Bear, Bunny, Fox, Owl, Cat, and Panda—and...
- MESS-FREE CRAFTS FOR KIDS: Inspire creativity in your toddler while improving motor skills, dexterity and color identification. Watch the joy on your child's face as they lace up these adorable hand...
- 【Threading Toys for 2 3 Year Old】BMTOYS wooden threading beads set include animals, fruits and vegetables. An interesting combination of wooden lace beads and stringing activity games, all...
- 【Montessori Toys for Toddlers 1 2 3 4 Year Old】Montessori toys is a great toy for preschool kids baby. For 18 month old babies to learn fruits, animals and vegetables. Our wooden stringing toys...
- 【100% Safe Kids Educational Toys】Our kid learning toys are made with safety in mind. This wooden educational strining toy will keep your kids entertained for hours while learning happily. This...
- LACE UP WITH VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR & FRIENDS: The beloved caterpillar makes its return in this fun set of lacing cards.
- DEVELOP HAND-EYE COORDINATION: Lacing in and out of pre-punched holes improves hand-eye coordination for small children.
- IMPROVE FINE MOTOR SKILLS: Perfect for tiny hands, this set of lacing cards requires strengthening fine motor skills to complete.
- 『Lacing Card for Toddler 』- Wooden lacing Cards threading toys Includes 5 wooden animals cards and 5 laces, Animals include:Rabbit, Panda, Cat, Monkey,Dogs. Using high-quality basswood, not easy...
- 『Multi-Skill Development 』- Wooden Lacing Animal Toys are new kind of learning toy , designed to develop Lacing and sewing skills. toddler sewing cards kids lacing cards have many holes, this set...
- 『Educational And Matching Games』- Preschool learning lacing toy,fun to practice lacing and tracing skills. Great Parent-child communication, interactive toys.Your kids will love them, they will...
- BRIGHTLY COLORED WOODEN BEADS: The Melissa & Doug Lacing Beads set consists of 27 brightly colored wooden beads in a variety of shapes, 2 colorful laces, and a wooden storage case. The beads feature...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Our wooden lacing beads play set includes several distinct shapes that are easy for little hands to grasp. The laces are thin enough to allow the beads to fit easily.
- HELPS DEVELOP STRONG SKILLS: This Melissa & Doug kids lacing and beads set helps children develop strong fine-motor, cognitive, and visual perception skills and promotes hand-eye coordination.
- IMAGINATIVE DESIGNS: Creative characters and unique designs make these interactive cards extra fun for kids. Your child is sure to find a set they love! Don't forget to match it with other...
- SPECIAL FEATURES: Five double sided lacing cards and coordinating laces give your child everything they need to keep themselves busy playing. Each set includes a zipper bag for easy storage, too!
- HIGH QUALITY: Cardboard pieces and polyester laces are made to withstand hours of play and are small and light for easy travel. Each card measures 6"x 6" and is perfect for little hands to hold.
- Entertaining and educational: colorful animal sewing cards are intended for an interesting lacing game, which is helpful for young pupils to develop fine motor skills and color recognition, strengthen...
- Safe material: these sewing toys are made of quality wood with a smooth surface, coated with odorless and non-toxic paints, designed in small size for grasp, durable and safe for a long-term use
- Easy to play: there are many holes on the sewing lacing cards, making it easy for youngsters to lace, sew and trace on their own through the equipped strings; Preschool youths can also lace the...
- What you will get: package includes 8 pieces traffic theme lacing cards in 8 different patterns, including car, train, plane, etc., with bright colors and cute deigns that will draw your attention and...
- Enjoy the endless fun with family: lovely patterns and creative designs make our transportation lacing cards and funny to play, allowing you to enjoy more easily the developing imagination activity...
- Convenient combination: tracing sewing cards are equipped with 8 different colors laces for easy and fast hanging, and you can use them for beautiful and interesting house decoration with these laces
- Seven Lauri dinos will live on as every child's favorite creatures for drawing and play acting
- Kids lace the shapes and gain eye-hand coordination
- Or they'll trace them and express their own impressions of prehistoric times
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Last update on 2021-09-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Who am I? A Montessori educator.
What a pleasure to recognize and interpret each child’s needs!
How exciting to help children become self-reliant and support them in their process of self-development.
I am also truly passionate about guiding adults in building their relationship with children.