You can modify lacing cards to match the learning aims and developmental requirements of every child.
Is lacing a fine motor skill? Definitely! You can work on fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, language skills, mathematics, and many more with these.
- What are the benefits of lacing cards for preschoolers?
- DIY Ideas: lacing activity benefits
- Lacing Activity Benefits: Conclusion
- Lacing Cards for Toddlers: Amazon Best Sellers
What are the benefits of lacing cards for preschoolers?
1. Pincer Grasp Development
Making the needle and thread move in different directions using a ‘pad-to-pad’ grip is a fine motor skill kids require for performing various tasks. A pincer grasp is required to pick up small objects such as beads, seeds, coins, etc.
2. Knowledge of Bilateral Coordination
Bilateral hand coordination is necessary when young children utilize the dominant hand as the tool controller and the non-dominant one as the assistant in certain skills, including writing, drawing, cutting using a pair of scissors, zipping a jacket, and buttoning a shirt.
3. Motor Planning
involves the functional performance of a task that is seen with the eyes and done with the hands to finish tasks. Such tasks include walking around hindrances, mazes, and cutting properly along a line.
4. Hand-eye Coordination
This is simply the use of information seen through the eyes to coordinate and control the hands and finish tasks like writing and catching a ball.
5. Scanning Visually
Lacing cards help children learn how to scan visually. Visual scanning helps children to be able to read, write, and locate a specific colored item in a container full of similar items.
You can modify lacing cards to suit the different learning needs of kids. Writing letters alongside the holes can help kids identify letters, recognize letters and sound letters. It also helps them to know the alphabetical order of letters and many more.
Writing numbers alongside the lacing holes can help children in identifying numbers, recognizing numbers, arranging numbers, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, skip counting, and much more.
8. Using Tools
Manipulating a string with or without a needle can be good practice for functional tool use.
9. Learning Life Skills
Kids get to learn to sew by using some string and a needle. There are a lot of lacing cards available in the market. You may find bright-colored numbers, letters, shapes, animals, and so on.
Kids will tend to choose what they like. Fabricated lacing cards tend to be very steady, which is very useful.
DIY Ideas: lacing activity benefits
There are a lot of different materials you can utilize when making lacing cards. When making lacing cards at home, let your child help as they will get to develop fine motor skills.
1. Foam sheets
You can make lacing cards out of foam sheets. Foam sheets are pretty versatile and can be formed into any shape using cookie cutters or by drawing.
2. Recycled objects
Take some recycled objects like taking out containers to create lacing cards. Transform them into any shape you like.
3. Plastic mats
Form sturdy lacing cards using plastic mats available in your home.
4. Cardboard cereal boxes
form sturdy lacing surfaces as well, and you can shape them.
5. Wallpaper scraps
are great for creating patterns, seasons, and multicolored objects.
6. Plastic canvas
Take some plastic canvas and cut out different shapes. Use these to explore different ways of stitching and math as well.
7. Transparent office supplies
You can also utilize transparent office supplies such as binders and dividers to make a light table lacing prop.
8. Family photos
Furthermore, you can make use of family photos to make lacing cards.
Lacing Activity Benefits: Conclusion
Home-made lacing cards are great and are very useful for your kids. Using lacing cards allows children to strengthen their small fingers and wrist muscles and use their imagination.
Some parents may not know the importance of carrying out lacing activities and introducing young kids to coloring and writing. Lacing cards help kids master their pincer grasp, useful for grabbing objects (e.g., holding a pencil while writing).
Furthermore, engaging in activities like these gives children a break from the monotonous work of tracing or coloring and gives a vast range of useful movement.
The kids get to know the work of their dominant and non-dominant hands. They can stabilize the cutouts while passing the thread through the lacing holes, strengthening the developing fingers and muscles.
This was it for now! Let us know if you have an idea to contribute. Ta-da!
Lacing Cards for Toddlers: Amazon Best Sellers
- Includes 26 wooden cards and 26 laces
- Lacing set with a card and lace for every letter of the alphabet
- Each card features a full-color picture on one side; label and upper-/lowercase letters on the other.
- Lace colors coordination with cards for matching and sorting fun.
- Great for letter recognition, vocabulary, fine motor skills, and hand-eye coordination
- Start Building Skills: These 6 durable lacing cards encourage motor skill development, hand-eye coordination, and creativity among preschool and kindergarten aged children. Illustrated with delightful...
- The Perfect Travel Activity: Do you need new activities to keep young children entertained while you travel? Kids love playing with these adorable animal sewing kits. The set includes Bear, Fox,...
- No Mess Crafts to Keep Kids Occupied: Inspire imaginative play with your toddler while improving motor skills, dexterity, problem solving, and color identification. Watch the joy on your child's face...
- Six Unique Cards in Each Set: Printed on thick, sturdy board, they are ideal for little hands (ages 3+). All lacing cards are matte laminated and printed with eco-friendly inks on FSC Certified paper...
- The Wee Gallery Story: We've built a fun and creative world of animals and nature themes, thoughtfully designed to entertain and educate. Our sustainable toys for toddlers are created for each stage...
- LACE UP WITH VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR & FRIENDS: The beloved caterpillar makes its return in this fun set of lacing cards.
- DEVELOP HAND-EYE COORDINATION: Lacing in and out of pre-punched holes improves hand-eye coordination for small children.
- IMPROVE FINE MOTOR SKILLS: Perfect for tiny hands, this set of lacing cards requires strengthening fine motor skills to complete.
- 10 UNIQUE LACING CARDS: This set comes with 10 lacing cards featuring The Very Hungry Caterpillar and friends.
- KEEPS CHILDREN OCCUPIED: Sure to keep their attention, these sturdy cards will provide hours of entertainment.
- Multiple Skills Development: The lacing cards are designed to develop lacing and sewing skills, allowing children to acquire diverse skills while playing with the cards. They serve as an ideal...
- Value Pack: It comes with 26 vibrant lacing cards with 26 colorful laces, sufficient quantity to meet multiple kids’ needs. Small and simple toys make your educational game more interesting. Play...
- Premium Material: The lacing cards are made of sturdy cardstock, durable and handy. Double side printed with premium plant ink, non-toxic and no odd smell, safe enough for toddlers’ use. The laces...
- Double-sided Printing: The vibrant colors and appealing illustrations on each card capture children's attention and make learning enjoyable. The front side is letter with cute animal, and the back...
- Ideal Gifts: This set can be used as a toy game for children at home, a DIY art craft project for teachers in class, a beautiful and interesting house decoration with these laces for your place. This...
- ☺Lacing fruit toys for toddlers:4 pack fruit wooden lacing toys:watermelon,pear,pineapple,apple,each of them comes with a hungry caterpillar which is the sew tool for you to sew through the holes of...
- ☺Educational & Creative Toy:These cute fruit lacking toys are based on a child-center which can develop children's concentration,observation and hands-on ability.Kids will love them and sit working...
- ☺Durable Wood Game:The threading toys are made of high quality wood,these are thick,well painted wood.The lacing strings are well attached to the toy;the lacing aglet is suitable for kids with...
- ☺Perfect Travel companion:Well made wooden toys,lightweight and without sharp edges,which can be the few toys that you are able to keep around.
- ☺Great gifts for kids:These cute shape lacking wood toys are really well made,they are great for fine motor development,suitable for birthday Christmas gifts and preschooler.
- Lacing Games Choice: these animal lacing cards are good sewing games for kids developing imagination education, lacing in and out of prepunched holes improves hand eye coordination for small...
- Sewing Cards Package: you will get 10 pieces of farm animal lacing cards in 10 different patterns with 10 laces; These farm animal lacing games are double sided, lovely farm animal patterns and...
- Thick Lacing Cards Size: these cardboard sewing cards are about 6 x 6 x 0.08 inches, which are thick enough, won't break easily, and each lace is about 4 feet, allowing your kids to enjoy more easily...
- Double Sided Lacing Cards Material: these lacing games are made of thick cardboard, glazing process for good waterproof performance and tear resistance, sturdy enough to use for multiple times
- Educational Playing Games Service: you don't have worries in purchasing our playing games for kids; They can help your child to exercise ability, and also allow your child to have a good gaming...
- 🌳🐻【Wooden Lacing Cards for Kids】Our forest animal wooden lacing card is the PERFECT CHOICE for you and your kids as it is made from natural wood, extra thicken panels with well designed....
- 🌳🦌【Forest Animal Sewing Toys】Our cute wooden toy set includes 6 forest animal panels (deer, bear, rabbit, fox, hedgehog and squirrel) with 6 matching laces. It will provide hours of...
- 🌳🦊【Arts and Crafts Kits for Toddlers 】 Our toddler activities learning toy is designed to help children develop their fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, color recognition, critical...
- 🌳🐿️【Child-Safe & High-Quality】We insist on adopting high-quality craft and making delicate products attentively for toddlers. This sewing kit for kids is made of 100% non-toxic wood with...
- 🎁【Awesome Gift for Kids】🎁Our Wooden lacing card is the top toys gifts for toddlers suitable for any situation, such as birthday gifts, Easter gifts, holiday presents, daily toys. Don't miss...
- With adorable pets pictured on both sides, it's fun to practice lacing and tracing skills
- Charming animals encourage lacing practice
- 5 double-sided, wooden animals with color-coordinated laces included
- Ideal for practice of fine motor skills
- Makes a great gift for 3- to 5-year-olds, for hands-on, screen-free play
- What you will get: package includes 8 pieces traffic theme lacing cards in 8 different patterns, including car, train, plane, etc., with bright colors and cute deigns that will draw your attention and...
- Enjoy the endless fun with family: lovely patterns and creative designs make our transportation lacing cards funny to play, allowing you to enjoy more easily the developing imagination activity...
- Convenient combination: tracing sewing cards are equipped with 8 different colors laces for easy and fast hanging, and you can use them for beautiful and interesting house decoration with these laces
- Quality material: transportation theme sewing games cards are made of quality cardboard, which is reliable and not easy to break, safe for body health, with comfortable touch; The laces are made of...
- Various advantages: the traffic lacing cards are good for developing transportation recognition ability, fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination ability, and so on; Each card measures 6 x 6 inch/ 15...
- Extra laces for lacing activities, such as Lauri Lacing & Tracing!
- Includes 24 tipped laces that Are 36" long
- For ages 3 and up
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Last update on 2023-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Who am I? A Montessori educator.
What a pleasure to recognize and interpret each child’s needs!
How exciting to help children become self-reliant and support them in their process of self-development.
I am also truly passionate about guiding adults in building their relationship with children.