About This Site
Tell me what you want
If you have suggestions about how to make this site better, then we would like to hear from you.
Why we created this site
This site was created in order to help students learn more about rocks & minerals. Although there is lots of information on the Net, it is hard to find what you need to know in words that are easy to understand. What the RocksForKids.com site does is give you a bit of simple information and then links you to some interesting sites that have great pictures, stories, information & activities.
The Audience for RocksForKids
- It seems that every student in Canada and the United States studies about rocks & minerals at some point. Teachers & kids love using the Internet for research. I think that this site is a good starting off point for students wanting to learn more about rocks.
- Kids of all ages who love Rocks
- If you love rocks, then you will want to find out more. This site can help you get started no matter what age you are. All rock-lovers I have met are kids at heart. The joy of the "Treasure Hunt" keeps us active & alive.
- Teachers & Parents of Kids
- Sometimes it is difficult to help kids get started doing research on the Internet. This site has many links to sites that have been previewed by me. By starting here, a safe & simple beginning to research on the Net can happen.
This site was started in 1999 and is still in the development stage even after
all these years. That is because it is a public services site that we do on our
own time funded by our own resources. There are many ways that this site can be made better. Some of
our plans include:
- More information at the beginning of each section will be written.
- Photos and diagrams will be added.
- Canadian content will be added.
- More information about countries where English is spoken will be added. This will allow access by a greater number of students. Some of these could be Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Jamaica, Trinidad, India
- More links to rock sites & clubs from around the world will be added. This is to give rockhounding a global perspective.
If you would like to be linked to this site
If you feel that your site would be a good addition for one of the categories in this site, then
send me your request. Give a brief statement about your site and your site address.
If you would like to add our site as a link to your own, feel free to do so. I would appreciate being advised of this so that I can take a look at your site. I am always interested in what others do.
We are enthusiastic amateur
Rockhounds. We collect rocks and enjoy field-tripping.
Most of the photos on this site are rocks & minerals we have
We belong to several rock clubs in southern
Ontario and are members in good standing of
CCFMS (Central Canadian Federation of Mineralogical Societies).
Elfi has been a Teacher in Ontario, Canada for more than 25
years. She has
taught all ages from Grade 4 to Grade 13 and is an online Instructor for
a Junior ABQ course. Nick & Elfi present Lapidary and
Woodworking Seminars. Nick crafts awesome Rocking Animals for
Toys. A former architect, Nick
enjoys sketching, architectural
design and wrote
& illustrated the "Agate Art Workshop" book. Elfi creates
and maintains the RocksForKids website and gives Agate Art Workshops through a
local rock club. Elfi & Nick
have collaborated on many projects and have offered a variety of other workshops
related to their hobbies in the Greater Toronto Area.
Hope you enjoy your visit!